Drop Shipping a part allows you to order from a supplier and have the part delivered to a customer’s address. It is extremely important that the part is ordered through the invoice.
Sell the Part and Place Order
- Open the Parts & Service module.
- Click the New Parts Quote or New Parts Invoice quick link on the left side of the screen.
- Enter the customer in the Customer Information section in the top left. you may select the Add button to add a customer that already exists in your program, or the New button to create a new customer.
- The customer will need to have an address entered on their profile. If they do not (or the dropdown in step 5 is blank), select the modify button to open the customer record and add an address.
- Click on the Shipping Address field to select the address where the part(s) will be shipped.
The drop down will display all address associated with the entity. This comes from the Add'l Addresses tab in the CRM module.
- Enter the part(s) to be shipped.
- Make sure that you check the box under the D/S for the part(s). This is very important so that your dealership's part inventory value is not altered.
- If you are charging the customer freight, make sure that the FRT part line also has the D/S checked.
After adding all the parts that are going to be shipped from the supplier to the customer on the invoice, you are ready to create the purchase order.
- Below the parts section, click the Order Parts button. This will open a window that shows the parts to be drop shipped.
- Select the Place Directly On Order button in the lower right of the window, This will open a popup window explaining that the order(s) have been created.
- Click OK on the popup. This will open the first purchase order.
- Select the Order Now button in the lower right of the purchase order screen to create the order.
- If the vendor offers order integration, you may choose to send the order electronically.
- Close the purchase order. If more than one order was created because the drop ship parts are coming from multiple vendors, order each, then close. This will return you to the parts invoice screen.
- Click the Cash Out button to open the Cash Out screen where you will accept the funds for the invoice.
- Take payment and complete the transaction by printing an invoice.
Receive / Complete Drop Ship Order
The purchase order created while selling drop shipped parts will remain as Not Fulfilled until the customer receives the parts. This will not add the part to the total on hand, but creates the payable for accounting to pay the supplier.
- Open the Parts & Service module.
- Select the Purchase Ordering link from the parts invoicing section of the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Locate the purchase order in the list of Not Fulfilled invoices. You may click the PO Number link or double-click over the row to open the order.
- Select the New Receiver button. This will open a receiving ticket for this specific order.
- If your header section has been collapsed, you will need to click the Show More button to expand the header. Type in the vendor's invoice number in the Entity Reference field in the header section.
- Enter the number of each part delivered into the Quantity Received column. Alternatively, you may click the Receive All Parts button at the bottom of the window to update all of the numbers in this column at once.
- Click the Receive Now button in the lower right of the receiving ticket. This will open a confirmation window.
- Click Yes. This will move you to another confirmation window regarding printing barcodes for these items.
- Click No to not print barcode labels.
- The ticket has now been received and is Completely Fulfilled. The buttons at the bottom of the window will change.
- Depending on your dealership's process you can now close the receiving ticket or select the Post To Accounting button.