You may encounter several scenarios when a part needs to be returned. A customer can return a part to the business or you may need to return a part to a supplier.
- Open the Parts and Service module.
- Select the New Parts Invoice from the menu tree to the left. This will open a new, blank parts invoice.
- Click the Expand Details link in the upper right of the invoice.
- If the item is being returned by a customer, enter their entity information.
- If you will be returning the part to a supplier, leave the entity information blank.
- Add the part number of the part that is being returned.
- Enter a negative 1 for the Sold column (-1).
- Press the tab button or click into a different field. A Return Item Process window will open for you to select the type of return.
- Restock Item(s) - Use this option if you will be adding the part back into inventory, ready to sell again.
- Return for Replacement - Select this option if the customer is returning the part and will receive a replacement part from the dealership.
- Return for Credit - Choose this option if the customer is returning the part to the dealership and will receive credit.
- Return No Credit - Use this option if the customer is returning the part to the dealership and will not receive credit.
- Discard Item(s) - Select this option if you will be discarding the returned item.
- Cash out the invoice.
Returning a Part to a Supplier
Returning a part to a supplier is a different process than using the sales register. Creating a negative receiving ticket will debit the accounts payable for the supplier and credit your inventory account.
- Open the Parts & Service module.
- Select the New Receiving Ticket option from the quick links to the left. This will create a blank Receiving ticket.
- Enter an Entity Reference Number. This is the Invoice Number used by the supplier to represent this shipment of parts. If the invoice number is not available, you can use the packing slip number.
- Search for the supplier entity in the entity information section.
- Click the Add Part button to add a new, blank line to the receiving ticket.
- Enter the quantity of each part as a negative in the Qty Receive column of the receiving ticket.
- Click the Receive Now button.
- You will receive a popup asking “Are sure you would like to receive this entire receiving ticket at this time?” Select Yes on the popup.
- You will receive a popup asking “Do you want to print barcode labels?”. Select No on this popup.
- At this point you can now post the receiving ticket to accounting. The Post to Acct button will replace the Receive Now button in the lower right. Click the Post to Acct button.