This article covers how General Purchase Orders, or “GPOs”, are created, what information is entered, how to locate GPOs in the system, and how they post in accounting.
Create a GPO
You can create a GPO in two places:
In the Parts & Service module under the Purchase Ordering menu tree (203).
In the Accounting module, under Tools Menu.
General Purchase Order Layout
In order to create the GPO that will post properly to accounting, there is certain information needed to be included.
- Entity Information – who you are buying from. (Auto-populates the “Pay To :”)
- Entity Reference – used to search in Accounting
- GL Acct # - to Credit the AP account. (Defaults to Comp Info “Default AP Acct”.)
- Cost – the cost of the purchase.
- GL Acct. – Debit Acct. (Usually EX or CT, but can be RE or AS account type.)
*Purchase Order #, Sublet Document #, Ordered By, and Received By are not editable, and automatically populate.
**Ext Cost is the Qty times Cost.
***Description, Comments, and other fields can be entered based on what your dealership wants to include.
****If the Entity has an AP Acct assigned to it in CRM, the GL Acct # will populate with that instead of the default from Company Information.
Clicking the Job Info button toward the bottom of a general purchase order will open a popup window. You may choose the job number, sub number, activity code, and enter any relevant job notes for the GPO.
Order Later, Order Now, Order & Receive
In the bottom right hand corner are the Order Later, Order Now, and Order & Receive buttons.
- Order Later - save the GPO without ordering it.
- Order Now - place the order now, but you haven’t received the item yet. You will be asked to verify the order. You will see the three buttons change in the bottom right hand corner to:
- Order & Receive - place and receive the order now, which will post it to accounting. You will be asked to verify the order. You will see the three buttons change in the bottom right hand corner to:
*Order & Receive will also place the PO on the Purchase Order List-Post to Acct
- Post to Acct - To use the Post to Accounting function you will need to enable the post to accounting process for all users. When enabled, a GPO will not generate a payable when it is received. Instead, a Post to Accounting button will appear. The GPO will not post until the user clicks the Post to Acct button.
Accounting Transaction of GPO
In accounting you can search for the GPO by the PO number (Reference Number), or the Entity Reference number. As you can see, the information input on the GPO shows on the accounting transaction.
You will find this transaction in the P1 Journal for the month it was posted in.
If you Order Now, or Order & Receive, you will see that a “Re-Open Ticket” button appears. Clicking this re-opens the GPO, placing it back on the Purchase Order List – Not Fulfilled page.
*If you re-open a GPO that has posted to accounting, the system will create a reversal journal entry and posting journal entry when you receive the GPO again. In accounting there will be the original post, reversal post, and new post.
From any GPO you can search for other GPOs. At the bottom of the GPO, to the left is the button. Clicking will open the GPO Search window. Here you enter the information you know about the GPO to find the on you are looking for then click List.
Enable the Post to Accounting Process
Below is a screenshot of the security permissions available for GPO’s that will enable a Receive and then Post to Accounting function similar to parts receivers.
- Restricted From Posting GPO to Accounting on Receive – Checking this security permission will enable an additional Post to Accounting step when receiving a GPO. They can receive a GPO, however it will not post unless the additional step of clicking the Post to Accounting button is taken. Unchecking this permission will post the GPOs to accounting upon receiving.
Note: This is the setting referenced above, as it injects an extra step in the receiving process to Post to Accounting.
- Allowed to Post GPO to Accounting on Demand – This permission works hand in hand with the permission listed above. Users who have Restricted from Posting GPO to Accounting on Receive enabled will not see the Post to Accounting button once a GPO is received. As a result, they will not be able to post their GPO’s to accounting unless this permission is enabled.
Note: All users who have access to GPO’s and do not have the Allowed to Post GPO to Accounting on Demand permission enabled, will post to accounting automatically when they receive a GPO. The permission Allowed to Post GPO to Accounting on Demand has no effect on users who do not have this permission enabled.
To see who may have access to Post to Accounting use the following report filter to determine who is restricted from posting to accounting.
- Open the reporting module.
- Click to expand the Security Reports section.
- Click over the Employee Security Role Report.
- Choose the report type you wish to open.
- In the Security Role field, locate the [PO] Restricted From Posting permission.
- Click the Show Report button to generate the report.