Setting journals to auto-number allows users to create manual or user interface-driven journal entries while letting the system create a unique reference number for them. This is great for journals that don’t automatically have transactions posting to them or don’t have a reference number counter built-in such as Q1-Cash Receipts, Y1-Standard Journal, or Z1-General Journal. This is also an awesome way to avoid duplicating reference numbers or needing to come up with a unique reference number.
Enable Automatic Numbering
- Open the Accounting module.
- Click the Edit menu in the upper left of the screen.
- Hover over Modify to expand the submenu.
- Choose the Setup Journal Names option.
- Click the “+” symbol to the left of the journal to expand the menu.
- Enter the CO # and Next Reference #. The Next Reference # is where the auto-number counter will begin. The system will automatically increment the counter by 1 after each transaction.
Note: The Next Reference number must be ALL numeric and cannot contain alpha characters (e.g., Q12345 WILL NOT work)
- Click OK when finished.
How it Works
When creating a manual entry to the Q1 journal the system will auto-number the transaction once it is saved.
If you go back to Setup Journal Names you will notice the Next Reference # has incremented by 1.
In addition to manual entries, the system will also auto-number in the accounting interface linked to that journal.
For example, the Daily Deposits interface is linked to the Q1 journal and will also be set to auto-number. Once you save your deposit, the system will auto-number the transaction.