Journals comprised of GL accounts are the bulk functionality of the accounting module. These ledger accounts store all of the transaction information made within your dealership, allowing full control for what gets posted to the journals and how. Understanding how these accounts work and interact with one another alongside the system of balancing credits and debits is the foundation of mastering the Accounting module of MotilityAnywhere.
Add New GL Account
- Open the Accounting module.
- Select the New GL Account option from the quick links menu on the left side of the screen. This will open a new window.
- Click the Add button in the lower right to create a new GL account.
- Fill out the appropriate Description, Account Type, Sales Tax, Taxable Status and Cash Flow information.
- Enter an account number. You can use the Base field for your account number to keep things simple, or fill in the prefix, base, and suffix if you wish to format your GL account numbers with dashes between each section.
- The Internal Statement, External Statement and External Account Number are to be used for the External Financial Statements that can be exported from the MotilityAnywhere program.
- If this account is location or department-specific, you’ll want to use the Company Number and Default Profit Center fields to specify this information. Otherwise the GL account will be accessible by all locations.
- Select a Default Department for transactions in this account to show. Without entering a default department, transactions applied to this account may reflect different departments.
- If this account is specifically for units, you can check the Track Unit Costs box.
- If this GL account will be a scheduled account that requires a specific field to be entered, you may check the relevant box. This can either be an entity reference, stock number, comment or job info, depending upon the box selected. Otherwise the transaction will remain unposted until a reference is entered.
A few examples of common accounts to be scheduled include:
- Inventory GL accounts that will require a stock number,
- Accounts Payable GL accounts that will require an entity number, and
- Payroll GL Accounts that require a comment.
- Checking the ‘mark this account as inactive’ box will remove this GL account from selection anywhere else in the program.
- Click the Save button at the bottom to save your changes.
Modify GL Account
- Open the accounting module.
- Under the General Ledger tools menu on the left side of the screen, click over the Chart of Accounts option.
- Locate the account.
- Click once to select, then choose the Open button, or double-click over the row in the list. This will open the GL account information window.
You can also customize your accounts with features that can be beneficial for the reporting of your financials. These features include departmental splits and creating specific budgets that a GL account should follow.
- To create department splits for a GL account, click on the Dep. Splits tab.
- Select the Add button to add additional departments where account transactions should post. You can also add company numbers and profit centers to split between in the table to the right.
IMPORTANT: The total percentage for all departments must equal 100% or the transactions will not balance correctly.
- To create a budget or adjust a budget for a GL account, click on the Add/Modify Budgets button at the bottom of the Add/Modify GL Accounts window.
- Navigate to the account where you want to add budgets.
- Adjust the budget buckets.
- Click the save button when finished.
- To specify which budget is currently being applied to the GL account, type in the corresponding budget bucket # into the field named Budget Bucket.
- Click the Create Budgets button. These budgets will not be enforced unless the “Create Budgets” button is clicked.